Friday, November 14, 2008

Zippers

Last summer, butch told me I had a big freckle on my back, I didn't think anything of it. It was between my shoulder blades and I couldn't really see what it was. Not long after that, Connie from PC was up staying with us and saw it. She recommended that I have it checked out asap. I actually listened went to the gp. He biopsied it, and it was what he thought, which was basal cell carcinoma. Skin cancer. I know that pretty much everyone there on told me how lucky I was that if you had to have this happen, this was the best that you could hope to have. So I schedule the appointment with the plastic surgeon. That takes 2.5 months and he looks at it and says yep, that's what it looks like, we'll schedule you for some in house surgery (a month later).

He also bitched to me about staying out of the sun. I told him that I had been a water rat as a kid, and a swim coach, and a lifeguard for 11 years. This was all before the invention of sunscreen. I am now careful not to get burned like I used to do. I'm the one with the spf 30 fussing over everyone. I love the beach, butch and I are sandcrabs. It used to be when I went to the beach only old people and babies sat under umbrellas, and that I guess I'm one of them now, cause for years, I've always carried one down to the sand. (umbrella that is, not babies or an old person) When I told the Dr this his suggestion was that maybe I just needed to wear more clothes at the beach. riiiight.

So I went in last Thursday and he cut up my back to the tune of half a dozen or so stitches inside and 19 staples outside. Butch laughed and said it looked like I had a zipper right up the middle of my back, and it did. The Dr even made the same comment last night when they started taking some of them out. He left 6 in still and I have to go back on Tuesday to get them out.

Here's a picture, black and white to help with the ewwwww factor.

No comments: