Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lurgens

Butch and I headed off to Lurgens (Amish) greenhouse bright and early last Saturday. We wanted to beat the hoards of people that rush the place as it gets into afternoon. I got herbs for my kitchen garden and flowers for the big pots I sit on our patios, the hanging pots, and all the garden around the bubbling water jug. I got SOME! flowers. Thought I made it out of there with just under a hundred dollars, but noooo, I just had to go back to look at a new pump for the water jug. Course, then butch found some things ON SALE! that we just had to get so rack up another 70 bucks. But, it makes me smile, so pay it and keep on going. (lessons i learn from butch) We've been running around that we haven't gotten anything in the ground yet. Tomorrow, hopefully.
On the way home from the greenhouse, butch says, we ought to go up over the mountain (west) and go to the Milky Way for lunch. Well, since it's getting to be strawberry season, he never has to ask me twice to go there for the fresh strawberry sundaes. The only thing is though, he said we were going to go over the mountain via Bear Valley. Ok, now, we were in the truck. I really should have known what we were going to be in for, since he said, the trucks dirty anyway. So we go up the mountain through Upper Strasbourg, and up and up and we get to the top and there is a sign on the left that says Bear Valley State Park (forest?). I am NOT exaggerating when I say that the road was 20 miles (or longer) of dirt and gravel. It was pretty and I did enjoy it. We saw a couple of hawks, and a whole lot of trees. We stopped where there was a piece of pvc pipe sticking out of the side of the mountain and it had water just pouring out of it. So of course, we just had to taste it. (insert eye roll here) So if you hear I've ended up with some kind of super bug only found in the mountains of PA, you know just where I picked this up. I'm serious about the distance, I thought we'd never come out from the trees. And the ferns are all new green and still spaced out-unlike summer when it looks like billowing clouds of green. (How's that for a metaphor?)

oh, and they finally came today and installed the new compressor in our heat pump-just can't wait for that bill to show up, but if we need it (and we really haven't except in the morning in the bathroom) we now can have heat or ac!

No comments: